You definitely understand what is friendship and its significance in life but I am sure you did not ever try to define The Meaning Of Friendship. In this post, we will try to define the word- friendship.
If you examine the dictionary you get get a definition- “a relationship between people who are friends”. No doubt, this is the simplest meaning of friendship but now some questions arise: who are your friends? who are your good friends? who are your true friends? what makes a friend good & trustworthy?
We will first see some of the popular meanings of friendship from different sources. After, we will try to define the word- “friendship”. The meaning of friendship can vary for different people based upon their understanding.
Different Meanings of Friendship
Meaning 1– The relationship between two or more friends is called friendship.
Meaning 2- The state of being friends with someone is called friendship.
Meaning 3- A situation in which two people are friends or have a friendly relationship.
Meaning 4- A relationship between people who like each other and enjoy each other’s company.
Meaning 5- Friendship is a relationship of mutual affection between two or more people.
Meaning 6– Friendship is a company in which you feel secure and fulfilled.
What is friendship?
Friendship is a relationship that does not depend on age, colour, nationality, caste or creed. Even it is not a relation between two persons. An animal can be your friend. A book can be your friend. A habit can be your friend. A passion can be your friend.
Anything that you like to spend time with, is your friend & the relation can be defined as friendship. Friendship is a situation where you feel deep satisfaction and fulfilment from the inside. But choosing good friends is compulsory because your company impacts your personality.
In short, Friendship is the company of any person, animal, thing, habit or passion. That is why people usually say- books are my best friends, etc.
Here are some articles you can read about friendship:
1. An Essay on Importance of friends
2. An Essay on Friendship and its importance
3. Why books are our best friends?
4. Speech on What is friendship
What are the features of a good friendship?
A friendship can make or break your identity in society. What type of friends are with defines your personality and behaviour. If you have good friends, your personality will improve. Opposite goes for having bad friends. Here is a list of features that makes a good friend.
- Loyalty– From the moment we gain our first friendship. We need friends who won’t scatter our secrets to others, won’t spread rumours about us, or enable others to criticize us.
- Appreciate our strenghts- Our true friend will always appreciate our strenghts and will enjoy our achievement where other will feel jealous.
- Tell our weaknesses- True friends are always our well-wishers. They always try to make us an improved version. So, they tend to show our weaknesses so that we can improve.
- Stand by us no matter what- True friends stand by us in every situation wether it is a moment of happiness or a moment of difficulty. They share our happiness as well as our sorrow.
- Get us out of wrong things- If we slip into wrong practises or wrong company, our true friends get us out from there.
Definition Of Friendship By Quotes
Quote 1- Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies. ~ Aristotle
Quote 2- I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light. ~Helen Keller
Quote 3- True friends are like diamonds—bright, beautiful, valuable, and always in style. ~Nicole Richie
Quote 4- Rare as is true love, true friendship is rarer. ~Jean de La Fontaine
Quote 5- Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Quote 6- Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes. -Henry David Thoreau
Quote 7- The great thing about new friends is that they bring new energy to your soul. ~Shanna Rodriguez
Quote 8- A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down. ~Arnold H. Glasgow
Quote 9- A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you. ~Elbert Hubbard
Quote 10- Life is nothing without friendship. ~Cicero